Friday, November 14, 2008

Emery Behavioral Medicine



I used to be a big fat guy. I like to think this message really stood out in my last post, so I will use it as an elaborate segue into my unabashed self-promotion of the business Christi and I own, Emery Behavioral Medicine. Brace yourselves, this will get ugly.

When I proclaim that I was fat, I don't mean a couple of pounds overweight. And no, this is not just a little self-deprecating humor used to put a smile on your face. I am 6'1" and I weighed approximately 250lbs. If you look at any height-to-weight charts - that's FAT! My life consisted of restaurant food, beer, late night pub fare, beer, and copious amounts of other "calorie-dense" foods. I didn't mind too much though, I was enjoying myself immensely. Besides, I met Christi at that weight and she loved me for the Chris Farley lookalike I was, not the Charles Atlas wannabe I would eventually become.

Some of my fondest memories are associated with that lifestyle, the relationships that were fostered and continue to aggrandize today. It wasn't until a few short years ago that I happily traded in my 4am bed time for a 4am alarm clock. (There you have it, my first blogger segue. Not terrible, right?)

Being a business owner and personal trainer usually provides me with the scheduling freedom to precisely coordinate my Ironman training program. Most days I pummel the snooze button for the first time at 3:45am, by 4:25, after a quick shower & shave, I am eating a hearty breakfast and by 4:45am I am out the door to train. From my understanding this is pretty consistent with the insanity brought on by Ironman training, but my situation is a little different. Instead of heading out the door for an early morning hills session or tempo run, I am off to the office to train my first client of the day at 5am.

Christi and I are fortunate enough to own a private weight loss and personal training facility in beautiful Weston, Florida. The manicured landscaping and sprawling royal palms create the perfect backdrop for Emery Behavioral Medicine, located in the heart of our far from quaint town. Our facility provides a behavior based weight loss program as well as highly tailored personal training to the people of Weston and other local communities. Our clientele consists mainly of people seeking to increase their fitness and lose weight but we also have the luxury of training professional & amateur athletes, former Olympians, marathoners and triathletes. After all, variety is the spice of life.

I love my life and where the dusty path has led me. I must mention that without my mother, Christi's parents (all of them:-) and Uncle Gord, none of this would be possible. For this we thank you and please know that we are eternally grateful.

The take home message of the day: It's time to accept that 4am is wake up time, not bedtime.

No comments: